Friday, May 30, 2014

The Great Affair is to Move



“What made you decide to move to Cambodia?” Hannah asked me over lunch today. And that made me realize that I’ve been giving everyone who asked the most generic of answers: “Why not? It’s a beautiful country, the people are wonderful,” I would often say. It’s been a year since my big move and I think it’s only fitting I talk about my reason for moving.

It’s still quite surreal to me to be living in Cambodia and be able to do what I love. Looking back at the past year when I first came to the Kingdom of Wonder, I was a tourist for three months and finally decided to buckle down and stay for good. I learned so much since then - about myself, about life, and what it’s like to be truly on your own.

Travelling isn’t just about being able to go places, meeting people, and experiencing a different culture, as cliché as it may sound, it’s a road to self-discovery and personal growth. Before I left the Philippines, I was the trust fund girl. I didn’t have to work a day in my life. Household chores were always done by somebody else, public transportation was improbable, and I have always been known as somebody’s daughter first and third, or maybe even fourth, as a photographer.

I was spoiled, yes, but my parents always taught me the importance of being able to stand alone and work hard for what I want in life. So I was on a mission to educate myself. The harsh reality of life is no stranger to me. Being a daughter of a photojournalist, I was exposed to death, corruption, and lies at a very young age, but always seeing it through glass. And now I’m living it.

Cook, sweep, mop, launder, and repeat - that’s my mantra when I’m not out taking photos and writing stories. I walk or take moto-taxis to get to where I want to be (my parents will have my head for this). And although I miss the comforts of home, life and personal growth is all about tough love. I may not have the luxuries I’m used to, nor do I have the money to splurge on anything, but I am hungry to learn more, explore more, and consequently grow more.


I am a misanthrope, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s what drives me to take photos of the not so beautiful and share them for the world to see. Humankind has committed quite a number of atrocities, life isn’t fair - and I want to create awareness and spark change in my own little way; that’s why I do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment