Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bounties Of The Sea





A trip to General Santos, Philippines would never be complete without having to witness the great tuna trade first-hand. Here the tunas are weighed, graded, sold, and shipped directly from the fish port to the fish markets in Japan and delis in Seattle.

I made new friends that day. Most of them had already flashed me their biggest smiles as I was just approaching. I politely asked them if I could board their ship and take pictures. One of them automatically stuck his hand out, offering to assist me up on board, and I gladly took it-- it was going to be a great day.

These photos only show a quarter of a day in a fisherman’s life. What they do is the epitome of manual labor. Casting their first lure way before the sun rises, these men leave their homes at ungodly hours, and if they’re lucky, they’ll be able to haul along a prized yellow fin tuna or two.
































No comments:

Post a Comment